How to Get a Means of Identification for Account Opening
- How to Get a Means of Identification for Account Opening
- Means of Identification Accepted by Nigerian Banks
- How to get the OLD National ID card
- How to apply for the New National ID card
- How to Apply for Permanent Voters Card
- How to get the School ID card
- How to Get Drivers License
- How to Apply for International Passport
Means of Identification for Account Opening – Most young Nigerians find it hard to produce a means of identification when they want to open a bank account. This issue is common among young people who are about to get their first bank account. It is easier for them to produce a utility bill which is more likely to be an electricity bill (PHCN bill) and passport.
In this blog post, you will see the various means of identification accepted by banks and how to get each of them.
Means of Identification Accepted by Nigerian Banks
Nigerian Banks accept the following documents as a means of identification while opening Bank Accounts;
- The Old National ID card.
- The New National ID card (NIMC card).
- Voters card.
- A school ID card.
- Drivers License.
- International Passport.
We have done our findings and we would show you how to get each of this document. Though you only need one of them to open an account; choose from the option above and read how to get it.
How to get the OLD National ID card
The federal government no longer issues the old national ID card. Hence, there is no way to register for it. Continue reading to see how to apply for the new national ID card.
How to apply for the New National ID card
The new national id card is also called the NIMC card. NIMC is an acronym for National Identification Management Commission. This commission is in charge of issuing the new National ID card to Nigerians.
There are two ways to apply for the NIMC card. You can pre-register online here or you walk to any NIMC registration center to register.
When you pre-register online, you still have to go to a NIMC enrollment center to complete the registration.
Go along with one of the following documents to the NIMC office;
- State of origin certificate.
- Old National ID card.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- Valid International Passport.
- Voter’s ID card (PVC).
- Birth certificate/declaration of age.
- Govt. staff ID card.
- Any other valid ID document (as accepted by NIMC)
After the NIMC registration is complete, you will be given two slips pending when the NIMC plastic card (E-ID card) will be available. One of the slips given to you is the temporary NIMC slip. Some banks accept it for account opening.
You can check to know when your NIMC card would be available.
That’s all on the new national ID card registration.
How to Apply for Permanent Voters Card
The good news is that we no longer have to wait till during elections to apply for the Nigerian Permanent Voters Card. The Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC) has made provisions for people who did not register during the last election to register now. Visit the INEC office in your state to apply.
How to get the School ID card
The school ID cards mostly accepted by banks are tertiary institutions student identity cards. If you are a student of any Tertiary Institution, you can use your student ID card to open an account. In fact, it is easier for students in tertiary institutions to have an account because banks come to these schools once in a while to create accounts for students.
How to Get Drivers License
If you are up to 18 years then you can apply for a Drivers’s License. It is not compulsory to own a car before owning a driver’s license. Check out the steps to register for a driver’s license in Nigeria.
- Attend driving training at an accredited driving school.
- After the driving classes, the driving school will present you to the vehicle inspection officer for a driving test. If you pass the test, you will be given a certificate of proficiency from the Vehicle inspection officer.
- Complete the driver’s license application form at the Driver’s license center.
- Pay the license fee at a bank or online.
- Present your application form to the board of internal revenue officers and to a VIO at the DLC for approval.
- Go to the FRSC officer at the DLC for biometric capturing.
- You will be given a temporary driver’s license valid for 60 days.
- After 60 days, come back to pick up the original driver’s license.
You can also check your Nigerian Driver’s license status here
How to Apply for International Passport
The international passport is not only used when traveling abroad. It can also be used as a means of identification. The Nigerian Passport is issued by the Nigerian Immigration Service. The Immigration service has already written a guideline on how to apply for the Nigerian International Passport.
There are two different types of Check Your National ID Card Status -Check NIMC Status If is Readyinternational passport; the 32 pages passport and the 64 pages passport. The price of these passports depends on the age of the person applying.
ALSO, READ ARTICLE – Check Your National ID Card Status -Check NIMC Status If is Ready
Check the image below for the price of the International Passports.
Some of these documents require the applicant to be at least 18 years. Hence, before you can apply for a voters card and driver’s license, you need to be at least 18 years.
I hope you enjoyed this post? Kindly share with your friends and educate them.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.